Welcome to Maile’s Meanderings. This page’s stories were written by one of our historians, Maile Melrose, who is an invaluable source of information here at Kona Historical Society. Just click on the title to enjoy. Thank you for sharing Kona’s stories, Maile!
Check back here every month or “LIKE” our Facebook page for notification of a new installment.
Ho`opuloa Village, South Kona by Tai Sing Loo, April 18, 1926
Mountain road through fern forest
Joseph William Gaa, Sr., February 1945, Unexpectedly photographed and then ready, standing at attention, in front of the “Little Grass Shack”
From right to left: Norman Greenwell, manager of W.H. Greenwell Ranch (on Big Jack); Bobby Gouveia, ranch hand (on Ranger); Frank Silva, ranch foreman (on Lorna); Frank “Chico” Silva, Jr., Frank’s son and cowboy (on Girly) ; Joe Cho, Jr., cowboy (on Phoebe); Clem Jumalon, ranch hand (on Rebel); Tommy Greenwell, Norman’s youngest son and extra hand (on Maile) and Arnold Kanai (riding Gypsy), greenhorn and son of ranch bookkeeper, Minnie Kanai. Three blue heelers are pictured: Princess is the black-eared pup on the right, Toby stands in the middle, and King, Norman Greenwell’s pride and joy, lurks half-hidden behind Chico’s horse.
Hayata Hirokawa, our expert rider, is seated at far right; saloon owner Matsutaro Suenaga, seated second from left. Photos donated by Paul Hirokawa
Chirio’s Infectious Smile, Photo by Megan Mitchell, 1978
Kona Nightingale Gals ~ 1953, Nobriga Collection, KHS Archives
Margaret Paris with Lauhala Basket
Konawaena School - Children with Teachers on Play Field c. 1930, Photo donated by: Paul F. Hirokawa, Konawaena High School graduate, Class of 1944
Left: Kiawe Tree at the parking lot at Napoopoo Beach (Photo by Norman Carlson, circa 1960). Right: Dedication of William Whatman’s Monument~ 1928. Pictured are the Rev. D.D. Wallace of Christ Church and Episcopalian Bishop Henry Bond Restarick.
Above (from left to right): Dr. Jaggar, Mrs. Woods, and Captain Woods. Below: Dr. Jaggar and his amphibious vehicle, the `Ohiki, at Keauhou.